The Virginia Beach Travel and Tourism Foundation endeavors to identify and reward the best and brightest of the hospitality industry’s next generation of leaders. To do so, each school year it asks students meeting certain basic requirements to complete and submit an application and other required information, write a short essay, and, if scheduled, appear before a VBTTF interview panel. The Foundation is offering multiple $500 scholarships.
Basic requirements to apply for a VBTTF scholarship are:
The student must live or work in Virginia Beach and attend an accredited public, private, or for-profit college or university in the Commonwealth of Virginia and pursuing an associate, bachelor or an advanced degree.
Must have been a designated culinary arts, hospitality and tourism management or another related discipline for at least one semester or quarter prior to applying for a scholarship.
Enrolled as either a full or part-time student in at least 6 credits at the time application is made.
Have earned a 3.00 overall CGPA for all semesters or quarters completed.
Must have verifiable hospitality industry work experience beyond required internships and extra-curricular activities.
How to apply for a VBTTF scholarship:
The application form must be completed and submitted with the following attachments:
- A current resume of education, work experience, and other relevant information, along with a letter of recommendation and support from at least one current or previous employer from within the past 12 months.
- A copy of the transcript of classes completed and grades at your current school and the classes currently being taken. The transcript may be down-loaded from the school website.
- An essay of no more than 500 words on the following topics – What inspired me to pursue a career in the hospitality industry and how will a VBTTF Scholarship enable me to achieve my personal and career goals?
Applications are accepted by the VBTTF throughout the school year.
The scholarship process:
- All communications between the Foundation and the student concerning the scholarship process will be via telephone and/or e-mail.
- Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of their interview, if scheduled and will be conducted by a panel of VBTTF directors. Applicants will be judged on leadership capabilities, industry experience, extra-curricular activities, clarity of personal and career goals, and both written and verbal communication skills.
- Not all persons selected to be interviewed will receive a scholarship. Selection is made in a non-discriminatory fashion in terms of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, ethnic group, disability, age, sexual orientation or any other legally protected characteristic. Those who are awarded a scholarship will be notified via telephone and/or e-mail. Payments will be made when evidence of current registration in the applicable school year of at least 6 credits has been received by the Foundation. Qualified education expenses include tuition and fees; and course-related expenses such as books, supplies and equipment. VBTTF scholarship checks will be made payable to the student.