- 1 out of 8 jobs depend on travel and tourism.
- Travel ranks #1 among all U.S. industry exports.
- Travel is among the top 10 industries in 48 states and D.C. in terms of employment.
- Each U.S. household would pay $1,000 more in taxes without the tax revenue generated by travel and tourism.
Economic Impact of Tourism:
On the United States:
$813 billion in direct travel-related expenditures that leveraged an additional $1.1 trillion in other industries
14.4 million jobs supported by travel expenditures (7.5 million directly and 6.9 million in other industries)
$124 billion in federal, state and local tax revenue
On the Commonwealth of Virginia:
- $20.4 billion in direct travel-related expenditures
- $2.6 billion annually in federal, state and local tax revenue
- 207,000 jobs and $4.6 billion in salaries
On the Coastal Virginia Region:
- $4.2 billion in direct travel-related expenditures
- $316 million in state and local tax revenue
- 42,470 jobs and $823 million in salaries
- Third largest industry in the Region
- $1.2 billion in direct travel-related expenditures
- $98 million in state and local tax revenue
- 11,760 jobs and $217 million in salaries
- Second largest industry in the City
- 5.7 million annual overnight visitors
Source: US Travel Association / Virginia Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau
The VBTTF supports educational efforts and research reports on the Coastal Virginia Region's travel and tourism sectors.